Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
This is an adaptation of Nam Jeem or Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce.
- 4 fl oz Rice Vinegar
- 4 oz Granulated Sugar
- 1 oz Fish Sauce (Viet Huong Three Crabs Brand)
- 1 tbl Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Chopped Garlic
- 2 tbl Sambal Olek (Rooster Brand)
- 2 tbl Chopped Green Onion
- 1 tbl Chopped Cilantro
- 1 tbl Chopped Mint
- Whisk together the Vinegar, Sugar, Fish Sauce and Lemon Juice until dissolved.
- Add the Garlic and Sambal Olek and let rest at room temperature for no more than 1hour.
- Just before service add the fresh herbs and mix well
Note: you can adjust the degree of heat and acidity by adjusting the vinegar and sambal olek accordingly
Classic Salsa Verde for Porchetta
This a condiment that is best when made in a mortar and pestle to achieve the purest taste.
- 2 ea Scallion, sliced fine
- 1 cup Flat Leaf Parsley Leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup Basil Leaves, stems removed
- ¼ cup Fresh Mint Leaves, stems removed
- 1-2 Cloves Peeled Garlic (Remove any green bud stems from the center of the cloves)
- 2 tbl Capers
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 fl oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 fl oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbl Lemon Zest
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- Sea Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- In a mortar and pestle, crush together the herbs, garlic and capers to the desired texture.
- Adjust the consistency with the Water, Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
- Season with the Red Pepper Flakes, Salt and Pepper to taste
Note: This should be made to just before service or day off. It also makes a great part of an action station if the Porchetta is being presented in the dining room.