Potato Tikka Fritter (yields @ 60 Each Hors d’oeuvre or 24 Small Plate Portion)
2 # Yukon Potatoes
For the base
2 T Oil or Ghee
1 Tbl Cumin Seeds
2 oz Ginger Garlic Paste (Equal Parts Ginger Garlic and Ginger pureed together with 1 fl oz)
4 oz Finely Diced Red Onion
1 ea Finely Diced Fresh Green Chili (Serrano, or Jalapeno without seeds)
2 Tbl Turmeric
2 Tbl Paprika
2 Tbl Garam Masala
2 Tsp Salt
2 fl oz Fresh Lime Juice
For Breading as needed
- Cover the potatoes with cold salted water, bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
- Strain and allow to cool until you are able to handle. Peel and reserve the potatoes in a warm spot until needed
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the oil and then add the cumin seeds and cook to 30 seconds
- Add the Garlic Ginger Paste, Onion and Green Chili. Cook over medium heat until slightly browned.
- Add the Turmeric, Paprika, Garam Masala and Salt. Cook for 1 minute stirring continually to prevent burning. Remove from the heat.
- Add the warm potatoes and mash the potatoes with the mixed and mix thoroughly. There should be some lumps to the mixture. Season with the lime juice and any additional salt if desired. Cool the mixture
- Using a portion scoop, portion as needed and form into cakes or spheres as needed. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Standard bread the portions in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
- Freeze or chill until needed.
Deep fry in 375F oil and garnish as requested.
Small Plate Presentations
1 Each Tikka Fritter (Cake)
2 Tsp Cucumber Relish
1 Tsp Tamarind Chutney
Beet Threads tossed in Olive Oil, Lime Juice and Salt
Fresh Chili (optional)
1 Each Tikka Fritter
¼ Tsp Tamarind Chutney
1 Each Chopped Cilantro Leaf
1 Thin Slice Green Chili