The Japanese beer market is dominated by Premium Adjunct Lagers brewed with a percentage of rice added for lightness, clean taste and a touch of sweetness. Pale, clean tasting and crisp when served cold these are generally the go to beverage for the Yakitori stall or Itzakya.
The most recognized traditional imports are:
- Sapporo Premium Lager, Sapporo Brewing Company, Tokyo, Japan
- Kirin Ichiban, Kirin Brewery, Tokyo Japan
- Asahi Super Dry, Asahi Group Holdings, Tokyo, Japan
- Suntory Beer, Suntory Beverage & Food Limited, Osaka, Japan
There are a few American Craft Brewers who are offering a taste of the Japanese Style Rice lager:
- Hanamachi, Bottle Logic Brewing, Anaheim, CA
- Just Add Noodles, Trillium Brewing, Boston, MA
- Supra Deluxe, Modist Brewing, Minneapolis, MN
- Pyrus, Asian Pear Kölsch, Indianapolis, IN
View our full list of craft beers we have tasted here.