This is an adaptation of a formal Kaiseki dish that combines sesame seeds and dry mustard with rice vinegar. The simplicity of the dish and flavors extenuate the vinegar that complements the sweet and rich flavor of Yakitori.
For the salad:
- 2 ea European Cucumbers
- 2 tsp salt
- Trim the ends of the cucumber, cut the cucumber into thin julienne or thin slices, place in a bowl, toss with the salt to evenly coat. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Rinse under cold water to remove excess salt and press well. Drain for 30 minutes
For the dressing:
- 1.5 oz White Sesame Seed (Gomae), toasted and ground in a Suribachi (Japanese mortar and pestle)
- 1 fl oz Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbl Soy Sauce (Shoyu)
- 1 tbl Sugar
- ½ tsp Mustard Powder
- Combine the ingredients together in a small bowl and mix well. If you wish to have a little more sweetness, up the sugar.
- Toss the cucumbers in the dressing and coat well. Serve immediately.
For larger events:
- The salad should be made in small batches to maintain the crispiness of the cucumber.
- Finely shredded carrot, daikon or blanched julienne green beans, snow peas or napa cabbage can be added to the cucumbers for color and additional textures