The primary staff for re-opening dine in or other non-delivery/pick-up F&B services is to communicate to both customers and returning staff of your intentions are for re-opening whether immediately or when easement of business restrictions begins.
Create these three messages
What you are going do
Why you are doing it
How you are going to do it
The goal is to create a positive message with clear language on what you are doing to re-open your business and provide the best and safest customer experience you currently can and how you will adapt as things evolve. Secondly you need to ensure that you are creating the right environment for your staff, so they are they are not putting the personal health and prosperity at risk by coming back to work.
This communication strategy will become the core values of the Covid-19 Mitigation Plan and help you make the best decisions you can for both your customers and staff.
The numbers. Here is a study done by Dataessential on what customers are thinking. Remember this is only a 3 weeks old but numbers are still really revalant and insightful
- Promote opening date in advance
- Post new hours and service times and capacity for each service period
- Update Website with menus, Mitigation Plan and customer support messaging
- Keep your menus and operating procedures up to date across all social media platforms to ensure consistent messaging. Menus and operating information is spread across menu platforms especially delivery companies and review sites.
- Consider using social media management tools to keep you message consistent and minimize the workload into a single information entry point such as Hoot Suite and HubSpot
- Be pro-active in you approach
- Be Flexible
- Be prepared for staff and customers who may be affected by Covid-19 after dining in your establishment. Your establishment maybe come part of a contact tracing system
- Clear and Concise Signage that conveys your commitment to a positive guest experience
- Have all closed areas clearly marked and directionally signs visible if you are modifying travel paths with the operations such as one way and changes to exits and entrances
- Update all Mandatory Employment and Health Code Signage in the restaurant and staff spaces
- Allergy, Raw Shellfish and Undercooked Meat Statements on Menus
- First Aide and Emergency Services Information
- Create a welcome line about your commitment to their health and safety and you are there to provide the best possible dining experience they can
- Have Daily Pre-shift Staff Meetings to keep your staff informed and get feedback from on how to improve procedures and create a better customer experience
- Draft a response plan for customers who may not be comfortable or have issues with staff, other guests or the current limitations to your offerings especially if additional supply chain issues occur
- Implement and use on-line staffing tools to communicate with staff and create on-demand staffing systems for staff who may be adjusting their schedules with family, military and healthcare commitments during this period
- Update recorded telephone messages, welcoming lines and call forwarding